SJCam SJ6 Legend Action Cam: Cheap Alternative for GoPro
Camera is one which captures your every moment and you can cherish those treasures in your life. I think many of us might be having one or the other camera. Even phones’ cameras are getting better and better these days. However, in this article, we will be going to talk about the SJCAM SJ6 legend camera which comes in the category of action camera.
Obviously, the first product that comes in our mind when we talk about is GoPro. However, their products are too much expensive for those who are amateurs and recently came into adventure photography or videography. This is where the SJCAM SJ6 Legend comes in, which is one of the best GoPro alternatives that doesn’t prick your pocket and comes with some awesome features.
If you want to capture some action, this is the one of the best action cams to click some awesome photographs or make videos. Enough of talking, let’s do a SJCAM SJ6 Legend review that will talk about all the features, specifications, accessories it comes with and photo and video quality to make your decision whether you should go for it or not.
So, without further adieu, have a look at the SJCAM SJ6 Legend review take a look at of all its elements. First of all, we like to thank our partner GearBest who provided us device for reviewing purpose.
SJCAM SJ6 Legend Specifications
Before starting SJCAM SJ6 Legend review, let’s talk about some of its major specifications that will help you to know more about this action cam.
1. SJ6 Legend comes with Novatek 96660 Chipset and comes with a Panasonic 16MP image sensor.
2. It comes with 166 degree wide-angle that gets maximum view on your videos and photos.
3. Max image resolution is 16MP while video resolution are as follows:
- K @ 24fps (2880*2160) interpolated
- 2K @ 30fps (2560 x 1440)2
- 1080 FHD 1920*1080 @ 60fps
- 1080 FHD 1920*1080 @ 30fps
- 1080 FHD Super 1920*1080 @ 30fps
- 1080 FHD 4:3 1920*1080 @ 30fps
- 720P1280*720 60fps
- 720P1280*720 30fps
- WVGA 848*480
- VGA 640*480
4. The dual screen camera of 2.0” with TFT LCD display improves the image quality.
5. It is a touch screen camera which could easily take its input either through a finger or stylus pen.
6. It supports microSD card upto 128GB.
7. SJ6 Legend comes with a 1000mAh battery with the removable feature.
8. This camera is used in sports and in underwater, which would spread with the angle of 166 degrees.
9. The charging can be done either through AC adapter, car charger or by USB charger.
10. It has in-built WIFI and you can operate with your smartphone through an app.
11. It has in-built Gyro sensor that removes shakes automatically.
12. Other than that, it comes with USB, HDMI port and external mic to record audio.
SJCAM SJ6 Legend Accessories
One reason we like SJ6 Legend is that it comes with ample of accessories so that you can use your action camera out of the box. Here are all the accessories it comes with.
1. USB charging wire
2. Cloth Wiper
3. Waterproof Case
4. A rotating flat mount would help the camera to get locked inside it.
5. A rotating curved mount gets easily attached to the helmet and can take selfie shots or any point of view shots at 360 degrees rotation.
6. A handlebar mount is mounted on the on handle where the camera gets fixed and becomes convenient for the user.
7. 2 stickers of SJCAM
8. A manual which would guide you with information.
9. A water proof plastic frame which would keep out the water.
10. 1 flat mount
11. 3 screw mount
Do not find the one you needed, don’t worry, there are tons of accessories available on various online platforms that you can order.
SJCAM SJ6 Legend Design and Built
The SJ6 Legend is an eye catchy camera with its stylish design. The rectangular design body is fully rubberized and ensures a good grip even if your hands are slippery.
On the front, you will see 0.96 inch screen that will help you to see the settings you have selected. Other than that, lens and three LED’s are there in the front.
We love the buttons as there are very responsive and the camera will give you beep sound once you press. Even while using the waterproof case, buttons works brilliantly.
On the back, you will see a 2 inch TFT LCD screen and believe us, you will not find a better touch screen in any other action cam. It is very accurate and a big enough that you don’t need spectacles to change the camera settings. With the waterproof case, it is not at all problematic to use the touch screen.
Bottom of the camera boasts 1000 mAh battery and integrated screw mount that will help you to mount SJ6 Legend on tripods without worrying about purchasing another accessory.
On SJ6 Legend right hand side, you will find USB charging port, HDMI port and place to put your microSD card. It has an external mic to record your voice too.
While on the left hand side, you will find Power and Settings button. Long pressing the settings button will activate the camera.
On the top, there is one Shutter button that you will press to capture videos and images and one LED next to it that will help you to know that recording is going on.
One other thing which we liked about design and built of SJ6 Legend is that it has lots of LED’s everywhere. This helps you to know about camera from practically every angle.
SJ6 Legend Menu Overview
SJ6 Legend is very easy to use and features somewhat like a smartphone. Thanks to 2 inch TFT LCD touch screen on the back, which makes it super easy to control all the settings. The camera has certain modes which can be illustrated as:
1. Video: It records a video.
2. Video Lapse: It will shoot video every second and create 30fps video.
3. Still: Shoot a still photo.
4. Slow Rec: Slow motion videos are created automatically.
5. Photo Lapse: It would automatically take the photo within 3s/5s/10s/20s. You can set accordingly.
6. Burst mode: Shoots 3 photos in a row.
7. Underwater: This feature is helpful while taking images and videos underwater. It helps minor change in colors and capture the images sharply.
8. Car Mode: It easily detects the good shots and captures the movement.
9. Video + Photo: This setting will record a video continuously and click photos in interval of 5s/10s/30s/60s.
The second section of the camera include settings related to every mode plus general settings of the camera. Here are few of them:
1. EV: The light exposures can be changed from -2 to +2.
2. Delay Capture: It is off for 3s/5s/10s to capture the photo.
3. Bitrate: The quality of audio/video can be set by using high/medium/ low.
4. Distortion Correction: The screen can be on/off.
5. Color: The color for the images can be easily changed.
6. Audio: It converts the video footage in audio precision.
7. Quality: The quality of the image can be selected from three options : Fine, Normal or Economy.
8. Loop Recording: The video records it for maximum for 10 mins.
9. Gyro Sensor: In upward and downward motion it easily shoots a video.
10. Sharpness: The images would be strong/normal/soft.
11. Auto power saver: It automatically turns off the camera and starts with a screensaver.
The date, time, language and keypad tone can be easily set just like your smartphones.
SJ6 Legend Video Quality
One thing that we appreciate about SJCAM company is that they have written on the product packaging that the 4K resolution is interpolated which means it enhances the recorded pixels to a higher resolution. It can lose some quality too when doing this process.
Other than this, all the other resolutions that SJ6 Legend claims are true and works well in most of the conditions. As we know that SJ6 Legend use Panasonic sensor so you can expect a great colors and sharpness in your pictures and videos. However, in low light conditions, SJ6 Legend struggled a bit.
It creates a Glass effect which we noticed while making videos under direct sunlight. This is quite frustrating sometimes as all other details go for a toss when it happens.
We noticed one new feature which the company is calling 1080p Super which is exactly a copy of GoPro Super Wide Angle which works perfectly and we are sure you will love it once you use.
Overall, SJ6 Legend video quality is good when there is enough light even in extreme conditions, but somewhat disappoints under direct sunlight and night scenes.
SJ6 Legend Image Quality
The image quality of SJ6 Legend is fair; the pictures taken with the camera are good in colors, but doesn’t have the that much of sharpness which is acceptable from an action cam.
SJ 6 Legend Battery Performance
It would take 3 hours to charge the battery and would last up to 110 minutes when you click on 1080p resolution. It decreases to 75-80 minutes when you shoot videos having a resolution of 4k and 2K.
- Big 2″inch TFT LCD Touchscreen
- Easy user navigation
- Rubberised body for good grip
- WiFi and App are connected easily
- Good amount of accessories
- Gyro Sensor works well
- Struggle a bit in dark conditions
- Image Quality is not that high
SJCAM SJ6 Legend Price & Availability
SJ6 Legend is available on many online websites but you can find the best rates on GearBest.com. It is available for around $159 and comes with all the accessories which we discussed above in the article. It comes in three colors: Black, Pink and Silver.
SJCAM SJ6 Legend: Whether you Should Buy it or Not?
We had tested this camera for a few weeks in every condition and come to the conclusion that if you are just starting to create your adventure videos or photos, SJ6 Legend is one of the best action camera for you. It has all the features that come in expensive GoPro in less than half of the price. It has a beautiful screen which makes navigation through settings easily while score good points, shooting videos in good light conditions.
However, it might disappoint you while shooting videos or clicking images in low light condition but believe us they are not that bad. We have seen even worse in other action camera. So, our verdict is you can buy it if you have just started and don’t want to spend on expensive GoPro at the start.