The Best iOS 11 Hidden Features
A few days before, Apple introduced iOS 11 with many new features to give a better productivity to the Apple users. We are sure many of you already upgraded your iPad and iPhone and enjoying the best iOS 11 features. Most of the iOS 11 features this time are introduced for Apple iPad but there are a few features that change the way your iPhone works too. While some of the features you already have figured out, there are few hidden iOS 11 features that might now know about.
This article is all about the hidden features of iOS 11 that you will love to know about and surely increase your work experience. So, without wasting time, have a look at some of the best iOS 11 hidden features that we have figured out while using it on our iPhone and iPads.
1. Two New Message Effects: Echo And Spotlight
As you all know, Messaging app totally changed after the introduction of iOS 10. Various effects and animations were introduced to show your emotions. In iOS 11, Apple introduced two new message effects called Echo and Spotlight which we are sure you’ll love to use. To do that, follow the simple steps below.
- To apply these effects first just type the Message in the message box.
- Then choose either of the following: 3D touch or long hold the Send button.
- Once you click on it, you will see two options: Bubble & Screen.
- Click on Screen where you will find Echo as a first option and swiping on the right screen will take you to the Spotlight following other effects which were in iOS 10 already.
- Once you choose the right effect, click on Send icon to send the message.
You Might Also Like : How to Turn iPhone Live Photos into Animated GIFs
2. Turn Off Auto Brightness in iOS 11
The Auto Brightness feature is almost available to every device, whether it is Android phone or Apple phones. Auto brightness use a sensor which adjusts brightness according to the light in which we are. Before iOS 11, it was very easy to turn Auto Brightness on or off under Display & Brightness settings, but now Apple has changed the location of this feature. To know how to turn off Auto Brightness in iOS 11, follow the below steps:
- Go to Settings > General > Accessibility.
- In Accessibility section, you will find Display Accommodations, click on that.
- In this section, you will find the old Auto Brightness feature. Toggle it to Off the feature and you can manually control brightness of your iPhone.
3. Photos Taking Too Much Space? Here’s the Fix
The problem which iPhone and iPad users face is the storage problem for photos. You click hundreds and thousands of pictures which takes so much place on your iPhone and you don’t want them to delete too. This is the reason, iOS 11 come up with a new photo format which will take less space with the same old high quality picture. The new photo format is HEIF which surely saves a lot of space on your iPhone. To save your pictures in new iOS 11 photo format, follow the below steps.
- Go to Settings > Camera.
- In this section, you will find Formats option, click on that.
- Click on High Efficiency which will help you to reduce the file size of your click photos.
4. Create PDF from your iPhone and Annotate to Share
If you want to create a PDF of a webpage you are reading with your friends, you can do it directly from Safari browser in just one click. Not only that you can Annonate the PDF file if you want to highlight something important before sharing. To know how to create PDF and annonate in iOS 11, have a look at below steps.
- Tap on Share button on the bottom left hand side of Safari browser.
- Scroll to the right until you find Create PDF option. Once you locate, click on that and Save that you can later share with anyone.
5. Turn Off WiFi Auto-Join Feature
WiFi networks are everywhere and some of you might have saved permanently so that you don’t have to put password again and again. This feature is handy, but auto-join feature is somewhat not liked by all but before there was no option to turn it off. However, in iOS 11, you can turn off WiFi, Auto-Join feature in seconds. Let’s see how you can do it:
- Firstly go to Settings, tap on WiFi.
- Tap on the i icon on next of the WiFi name you don’t want to join automatically.
- On the next, toggle Auto-Join to turn it off. This will save your iPhone to automatically join WiFi networks that you don’t want to.
6. Set Up Emergency Mode in iOS 11
Sometimes an unexpected situation arises and calls for an immediate action. Thus, Emergency SOS is made available to the iOS 11 users. To make it easy for an emergency action it is important to set up and enable the services; by going on to settings option and enabling the Emergency SOS in iOS 11. So you don’t need to unlock your phone or dial anything. Check the below steps on how to enable Emergency Mode in iOS 11:
- Go to Settings > Emergency SOS.
- Here, you have two options from where you can choose Click Sleep/Wake 5 Times or 3 Times, Auto Call and Countdown Sound. We recommend you to toggle on both the features so that it will be easy for you to contact Emergency SOS in case you need it. If you want to cancel a call then just do it within 3 seconds.
7. Insert Tables into Notes
After a long wait the iOS 11 has inserted the option of tables into the notes. A table shows the information in an organized and structured way. So, either to view a weather report, examination card or much more for other purpose, the table option is important. To insert tables into Notes in iOS 11, follow the below steps which are very easy:
- To create a table, tap on the Table icon just above the keyboard. A table will appear.
- Clicking any part of it, Three dot icon will appear, clicking on it will help you to add or delete column or rows.
8. A New Do Not Disturb While Driving Feature
This is one of the most rocking features in iOS 11 is Driver Safer with Do Not Disturb While Driving. Do Not Disturb While Driving options let your iPhone silent the notifications when you are driving. This helps from distracting the mind and avoids unwanted accidents. There are a few steps you have to follow to enable do not disturb while driving feature, have a look:
- Go to Settings option, then scroll down to Do Not Disturb feature.
- Activate Do Not Disturb Driving option. You can set it to Automatically, When Connected to Car Bluetooth or Manually.
- When activated the incoming calls will be allowed only when iPhone is connected to a car Bluetooth or a hands-free accessory.
- You can set Auto-Reply message to your Favorites, No One, Recent, All Contacts.
- You can even customized Auto-Reply option while clicking on it.
9. Change How Lock Screen Notifications Work
It is not possible that every time you will visit each app and then look for your notification. So, iOS 11 has come up with a better feature this time. This feature will help you to show all the app notifications in various ways. To enable this feature, follow the steps:
- Click on Settings > Notifications.
- In this section, click on Show Previews option.
- Once you click on it, you can now choose the choices from Always, When locked and Never. By checking on Always will show up all the notifications even in locked phone.
10. Turn on One Handed Keyboard Feature in iOS 11
Typing with both the hands now and then is inconvenient. With the introduction of new feature One Hand keyboard, allows to type by using only one hand. Want to know how to enable one handed keyboard feature in iOS 11, you can follow the below steps:
- Go to Settings > Keyboard > One Handed Keyboard
- Toggle it to turn it On. You can select Left or Right option according to your preference.
- Now, in any app which supports tying in the keyboard, a long press on Emoticon or Globe button near ABC option which will slide your keyboard to the left or right side which you have chosen in the above option.
11. Now, You can Scan QR Code from Camera App
Yes, you heard it right. Scanning QR codes in iOS 11 is incredibly easy. Open the Camera app and point to any QR code. Just within in a second it would detect the data and you can see it on the notification bar. Then tap directly to notification for further action. Thus, you don’t need to download any third-party app for scanning.
12. Scanning Documents into Notes App
Apple did a great job and introduction to scan documents directly into the Notes app is indeed a welcoming feature. This app would scan the receipts, invoices, photographs, sheets of paper, etc. if you want to send to someone as it is better way rather than clicking the photo of it. To scan documents into Notes app, please follow the below instructions:
- Open Notes App, click on + icon and choose Scan Documents option.
- This way you can scan multiple pages in few seconds.
13. Shut Down your iPhone Even Power Button is Not Working
If your power button is broken, then also you can shut down your phone or put the device to rest. To shut down your iPhone if the power button is not working, you can follow the following steps:
- Click on Settings > General. Scroll down and you will find Shut Down option. Click on it and Slide to Power Off to shut down your phone.
14. Click Live Photos of FaceTime Video
iOS 11 has introduced clicking live photos while you’re doing video chats on FaceTime. Turning this feature which helps you click live photos of FaceTime video. To do so, follow the below steps:
- Go to Settings > FaceTime.
- Toggle on FaceTime Live Photos to turn the feature On. That’s it, this will allow you to click Live Photos during a FaceTime video call. While chatting with a friend you can take a live photo and both of you will receive the notification that the photo was taken.
15. Type To Siri Instead of Speaking
Speaking to Siri in some situation is little awkward. So, instead of talking some commands can be Type to Siri. While speaking may cause some errors so we think typing is the better option. To enable Type to Siri feature, follow below steps:
- Go to Settings > General > Accessibility.
- Find Siri option where you will find another list of options.
- EnableType to Siri feature by clicking on it that will help you to type your queries to Siri.
16. Create New Notes from iOS Lock Screen
iOS 11 now allows you to create new Notes from iOS lock screen. This will help you to quickly add address, some important points, etc. right from your Lock Screen. To add New Notes from iOS Lock Screen, follow the below procedure.
- Go to Settings > Notes > click on Access Notes from Lock Screen.
- Once you click on it, choose whether you want to Always Create New Note or Resume Last Note according to your preference.
- One you are done with it. Go back and find Control Center option and add Notes into Include section. To create a new note or resume the last one, tap on Notes in the Control Center next time,
17. See Older Notifications on the Lock Screen
You can see older notifications right from your Lock Screen. To do so, you have to scroll upwards from the middle of the screen and it will show you notifications from Earlier Today. Swiping to right, you can interact by replying or open the message. Swiping to the left, you can view or clear the notification.
18. Disable Touch ID Quickly
There might be some situation that someone forced you to unlock your phone by pressing your finger on Touch ID. To disable Touch ID quickly, you have to press the power button five times and it will only unlock through your passcode.
19. Record your iPhone Screen
Yes, you heard it right. You can now easily record your iPhone screen while playing games or app walk-through or anything. To record your iPhone screen in iOS 11, you have to follow the below steps.
- Go to Settings > Control Center > Customize Controls. Allow Screen Recording feature on to your Control Center Screen by adding it to Include section.
- Click on White Circular Icon which will allow to record your iPhone screen. Once you click the button, screen recording will start after a countdown of three.
So, these are some of the best iOS 11 hidden features. Did you find any hidden features in iOS 11? If yes, do let us know in the comments section below and we will include in our list of best iOS 11 hidden features.